Type a term in the box to instantly list helpful topics. Category filters help to narrow down search results.
What are users?
Users are persons with permission to use Fieldcode Work Place or Fieldcode Admin Panel suited to a particular job role (eg. dispatcher, engineer, admin).
Users have to be configured inside the system (usually done by an admin), so they get access to different parts of the system.
Typical user roles are: Engineers, dispatchers, admins, external partners (always part of a partner company), and custom user roles.
How to create & edit users
- Inside the Fieldcode Admin Panel go to Access -> Users
- Click on the plus button to open the New User form.
- Fill in or edit the following tabs: Contact, Location, Working Hours & Availability, Roles, and Skills.
1. Contact tab
- (Optional) Click on the pencil button to upload a picture of your new or existing user.
- (Optional) Decide if your new or existing user should be set to active in the system.
- Insert the business email address or Login name for your new or existing user.
- (Optional) Insert the company name of your new or existing user.
- (Optional) Select the salutation of your new or existing user.
- (Optional) Insert the business phone number of your new or existing user.
- Insert the first name of your new or existing user.
- (Optional) Insert the business mobile number of your new or existing user.
- Insert the last name of your new or existing user.
- (Optional) Insert an alternative email address of your new or existing user.
- (Optional) Check the “Is the user an engineer?” box if your new or existing user has the job role engineer/technician in your company.
- (Optional) Check the “Is the user an External Partner?” box if your new or existing user is under a subcontract.
- (Optional) Insert an alternative phone number of your new or existing user.
- (Optional) Insert a fax number of your new or existing user.
- (Optional) Insert a note about your new or existing user which will be visible to other users of the system.
2. Location tab
- Insert the address of your new or existing user.
- (Optional) Insert the ZIP of your new or existing user.
- Insert the city of your new or existing user.
- Select a country from the drop-down for your new or existing user.
- (Optional) Insert a room for your new or existing user.
- (Optional) Insert a floor for your new or existing user.
- (Optional) Insert a building for your new or existing user.
3. (Optional) Temporary locations tab
Temporary locations are useful if your engineer works from another location than his usual location. You can temporarily configure a start and end location so the system assigns tickets for this temporary location. After the period has passed the default location will be taken into account by the system again.
- Click the plus button in the Temporary locations tab.
- Insert the address of the temporary location.
- (Optional) Insert the ZIP of the temporary location.
- Insert the city name of the temporary location.
- (Optional) Insert the state name of the temporary location.
- Select the country of the temporary location.
- Select the location type. You can choose between the start location, the end location, and the start and end location.
- Insert the start date for the time period.
- Insert the end date for the time period.
4. Working hours tab
By default, there will be working hours set from 08:00 AM to 16:00 PM from Monday to Friday. However, you are free to change the working hours for your existing or new users. On the right side, you will find a preview of the working hours you configured.
How to configure working hours
Your goal when defining working hours for your user is to cover all your working hours that the user needs to fulfill:
(Optional) How to configure night shifts
5. Absences & availability tab
In the absences and availability tab, you can configure planned and unplanned absences and configure on-call duty for your new or existing user. You can also import public holidays into the system (currently USA only!).
(Optional) How to configure absences
- Click on the Plus button in the Absence tab.
- Insert a date from where the Absence starts and insert it in the From field.
- Insert a time from where the Absence starts and insert it in the time field.
- Select a substitute who should be in charge of the work instead from the drop-down.
- Select a reason for the absence from the drop-down.
- Insert a description for the absence, where the reason you selected is described.
- Click Save.
- The absence will be displayed in the Timeline in the Fieldcode work place.
(Optional) How to delete absences
- Search for an item in the list that you want to delete.
- Scroll to the right to find the trash button.
- Click on the cancel absence (crossed calendar).
- Confirm the upcoming prompt with Yes, Cancel.
- The absence should now be removed from the list.
(Optional) How to import public holidays
- Click on the Import public holiday button.
- You will be asked if you want to import the public holidays for your location for the next 12 months.
(Optional) How to configure on-call duties
You can configure on-call duties for your engineers by clicking on the On-Call duty tab inside Absence & Availabilities tab.
On-call duties for your engineers will be visible inside the Timeline inside Fieldcode Work Place.
- In the On-call-duty tab click on the plus button.
- Insert a date in the From field from where the on-call-duty starts.
- Insert a time in the From field from where the on-call duty starts.
- Insert a date in the To field from where the on-call duty ends.
- Insert a time in the To field from where the on-call duty ends.
- (Optional) Select a day on-call duty for a certain time span. The engineer in question will be available for on-call duty on all the selected days all-day.
- Important: Click Save in the bottom-left of the menu.
- Reload Fieldcode Work Place by pushing the Reload button inside the Fieldcode Work Place header or hitting CRTL + F5 inside Fieldcode Work Place.
6. Roles tab
In the roles tab, you can decide what users are allowed to do inside the applications. Currently, by default, we have three roles available for you. Just toggle the role you want to apply for your user to the right in order to decide, what the user can do.
Users with this role can view and edit all available data of the account and additionally can configure all system settings.
Users with this role can view tickets, and dispatch, and report them for all dispatch groups.
Users with this role can view tickets and report them.
(Optional) Skills tab
If you have Skills enabled, you can assign them to your engineer under Users. Skills ensure tickets are solved with the best suitable engineer in mind to delight the customer. You are also flexible to decide if skills should be able to expire after a particular date has passed.
Expiration date configuration is done on a user level and not globally configured inside the Skills menu.
- Set the skills you want to assign to your engineer to active.
- Select a level of importance from the drop-down of a skill. Level 1 is the lowest, while Level 3 is the highest skill level.
- Click on Save.
If you cannot find the skill, feel free to use the keyword search at the top of the list to find the matching skill in the list.
If you cannot find the skill, because it wasn’t created yet, feel free to create it under Dispatch -> Skills.
You can add expiration dates to certain skills if you want specific skills to turn inactive after a certain amount of time.
Inactive skills will not be considered for smart calculations anymore and will not be displayed as an existing skill for an engineer anymore.
You can add expiration dates for skills as follows:
- Make sure the skill is active as it otherwise cannot have an expiration date.
If you do not add any expiration date, the selected skill will not expire and will remain active indefinitely.
- Click on the calendar inside the expiration date column of the skill item.
- Add the expiration date.
- Click Save.
(Optional) Delivery tab
The delivery tab gives you an easy option to quickly assign users as dispatchers or engineers.
Be advised that engineer assignment only works if the toggle “Is the user an engineer?” is enabled in the Contact tab.
- Change the toggles according to your requirements.
(Optional) How to deactivate users
You are able to deactivate users by toggling the Active toggle of a user to the Off state.
- Inside the Fieldcode Admin Panel go to Access -> Users.
- Select the user you want to deactivate from the list.
- In the Contact tab toggle the Active toggle to Off state.